Saturday, June 4, 2016

Far West: The Diary of Eleanor HIggins


    29967920
  • File Size: 826 KB
  • Print Length: 227 pages
  • Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
  • Publisher: Wolfpack Publishing (April 19, 2016)
  • Publication Date: April 19, 2016
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC


Nel Higgins is the sixteen-year-old daughter of Frank Higgins, a deranged Lutheran pastor. After Nel’s mother passes away, she finds herself and her sister, Annie, at the mercy of her father in Yankton, Dakota Territory, 1876. 
Bereft and frightened, Nel knows, deep in her heart, that neither she nor Annie will survive unless they can escape his evil clutches. Then, when unforeseen circumstances lead to Frank's sudden death, the two girls soon board the famous riverboat, the Far West. 
Once on board, Nel finds herself following the path of American destiny toward Fort Abraham Lincoln, Custer’s Last Stand and the Battle of the Little Bighorn! 
Readers and early reviewers are comparing this Historical Romance novel to FOREVER AMBER and THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN. It is filled with action, adventure, sorrow and joy and showcases the strength, fortitude and danger of the American frontier. 

My take on this book:

Far West: The Diary of Eleanor Higgins by Linell Jeppsen takes place when Indians were still fighting for their land and the west was a dangerous place. 

Sixteen year old Nel Higgins knows about danger her father Frank abused her and her siblings daily. After the death of her mother and younger brother it's up to her to protect her younger sister Annie. When Frank moves them west it doesn't take long for things to escalate and Nel makes a choice that will have her and Annie running from home in order to survive. 

I think if I had to describe Far West: The Diary of Eleanor Higgins in one word it would be captivating! When I started reading this book I just couldn't put it down because the author, Linell Jeppsen created characters that came to life and made me need to know how their stories would ultimately play out! Telling the story through the diary entries of Nel was fantastic.  I felt like I was inside the heart and mind of this young girl whose emotions and feelings really poured from the pages. I found myself heartbroken at times for her, and rooting her on whenever things would take a turn for the better. She became a living, breathing person within the pages of this story, and while I wanted to know the ending I hated to say goodbye to her. Speaking of endings the author kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what would ultimately happen, and just when I thought I could predict what would happen she did something totally different providing a twist that surprised and delighted me. Along with the character of Nel there were many other very well developed characters that really kept the momentum of this story moving along. Each one had their own personality and lent elements to the story that really provided for a richly detailed plot. Along with well written characters the historical aspects of the story really took this story to another level.  Ms. Jeppsen made me feel like I had stepped back into a time when there was so much history taking place, from Custer's Last Stand to women's issues to the introduction of root beer and ketchup it was those details that made this book such a great read for me. Far West: The Diary of Eleanor Higgins is a coming of age story that really is so much more! 

reviewed for readersfavorite.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your wonderful comments make my day, thanks for dropping by!