Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Service Station Angel by Lisa J. Schuster


    19153980
  • Hardcover: 232 pages
  • Publisher: Outskirts Press (November 27, 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1478723998
  • ISBN-13: 978-1478723998



Sometimes God places you in a situation of great perplexity, but you perceive His intentions are premeditated and purposeful. Do you trust His lead? "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes." - Psalms 37:7 (NIV) Ernie Price is a middle-aged, humble-hearted man who owns and operates a service station in a rural Midwest town in Upper Michigan, back in a time when full service was the only service, and you got your windows cleaned and your tires pumped for free. Ernie's life has been a reflection of God's love, giving of himself fully and graciously to people in the community and his church. Whether as music director for the children's choir or hosting the yearly Christmas party for the less-fortunate children in town, Ernie impacted lives and was loved by many. When trouble rocks the small town and Ernie is physically incapacitated to offer his help, the community is left to pick up the pieces, mourn, and move on, while Ernie wrestles with the spiritual questions of his accident: My glimpse of heaven is for what purpose on earth? Why do I feel compelled to help this stranger know the love of the Lord? Who is this stranger anyway? "Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love." - Ephesians 4:2 (NLT). Faith, family and friends inspired me to write again and God nudged me to publish my first novel, Service Station Angel. I believe the words in this book are my service to you, so that you may find joy and comfort during a season of time when you need it most. May your hand reach up towards His so that you may touch another with Jesus' abundant love. Share His love often and build the heavenly kingdom!

My take on this book:
Ernie Price lives in the tiny town of Hubbell, Michigan, a man who had his heart broke once upon a time and never fell in love again. He really didn't have time though, because he took care of his parents until their death. Then he filled his days running the local service station and his evenings volunteering at the church, or working to repair toys so that he can give them to the less fortunate at Christmas. He is always looking for ways to help others, his kindness is truly a testimony of his faith. When crime comes to the tiny town, something happens that allows Ernie to get a glimpse of Heaven, but he is given a choice, whether to stay or to return to earth to take care of unfinished business. What will Ernie's decision be?

Service Station Angel by Lisa J. Schuster is a book that grabs the heart and doesn't let go. A story set in the small town of Hubbell, Michigan, about a wonderful man named Ernie Price. It's a story that transported me back to simpler time to a small tight knit community where everyone is sincerely cares about each other. I really felt like I had stepped back in time, and became a part of the community as I read this story. The people, their emotions, and their faith was so real, I could feel their hurt and heartache, but I could also feel the love and strength in this community. She truly captures the essence of small town living.  Ernie was such a remarkable character, I felt like he truly lived his faith, and probably never met a stranger, I also felt a bit sad for him though, because as busy as he was during the day and evening, when he came home he was all alone. As the story unfolds Ernie's life intertwines with the many secondary characters we are introduced to, including the so called villain of the story. I say so called, because I really didn't want to like the person who had brought crime to Hubbell hurting those dear people, but the author allowed me to understand why he did what he did, allowing me to feel compassion for a hurting soul! An emotionally stirring story that hearkens to a simpler time and place. While a work of fiction, there is no way not to be spiritually uplifted by reading Service Station Angel by Lisa J. Schuster. 

reviewed for readersfavorite.com

1 comment:

  1. Brenda,
    Thank you so much for your wonderful review of my book Service Station Angel. I see that as a reader, you truly captured all I intended. It is a simple story of a small town with big hearted people, strong faith and the ability to hang on during the rough times. I am glad that you found compassion for my villain. He was a hurting soul who wandered away from the one who could give him peace.

    ReplyDelete

Your wonderful comments make my day, thanks for dropping by!