Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Catbird Singing ~ Book Two in the Amish Horses Series


  • Paperback: 332 pages
  • Publisher: CrossLink Publishing (January 26, 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1633570134
  • ISBN-13: 978-1633570139






Lenny Gingerich leaves the interstate during a storm and finds himself 100 years in the past, or so it seems. An accident leaves him stranded on an Amish farm. Within days, he is driving a six-horse hitch and caught up in an old-fashioned love triangle. Bishop Mose tells Lenny to stay away from the girls, but try as he might, that is not easy. Lenny and his sidekick, a dog named Russell, both have a knack for getting themselves into trouble and everything becomes a tangled mess. While farming with horses, Lenny hears a catbird singing beautiful spring songs, which turn into an annoying meow as summer heats up. Life becomes difficult for a young man who doesn't understand catbirds or Amish girls.


My take on this book:
Catbird Singing is the second book in the Amish Horses Series by Thomas Nye and I really think it's better than the first book if that is at all possible.It's been two summers since Lenny  Gingerich spent the summer on his grandfather's Amish farm,and at that time he was figuring out who he was, and while he has figured that out he still isn't sure where his life is going. He still feels drawn to his Amish family, and misses the farm life, so when he finds himself on the interstate in Iowa during a major storm he decides to  visit his Amish uncle Noah. He finds that his world is still changing when he finds himself drawn to a particular Amish girl, thing is how does she feel? Will Lenny stick around for awhile on his uncle's farm, one things for sure there is sure to be plenty of interesting things going on.

Mr. Nye has a way of drawing me into his stories, allowing me to feel as if I have actually stepped into the shoes of his characters. His writing is richly descriptive, bringing his characters and setting to life with such clarity, that I actually miss them when I finish the final page of the book. I really enjoy reading about the Amish lifestyle and we certainly get a day to day glimpse of that. While I considered the last book to be a coming of age story for Lenny, I feel like he is still coming into his own with this book, we see him mature more, but still I feel like he is evolving into the person he will become. I love his sidekick and always enjoy whenever an animal plays a part in the plot. Overall, a great story that leaves me anxious to read more from this author. While this book is the second in The Amish Horses Series it can be read as a stand alone work because I feel like the author provides enough background information that the reader won't be lost, but if you enjoy good, clean Amish stories that capture the essence of Amish living I highly recommend both books.

A complimentary copy of this book was provided for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your wonderful comments make my day, thanks for dropping by!