Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Message Bible ~ Slimline Edition


  • Imitation Leather: 1440 pages
  • Publisher: NavPress; Lea edition (April 16, 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1631464345
  • ISBN-13: 978-1631464348



Open The Message and God’s Word comes alive!

Thinner than one inch, The Message Slimline slips easily into your bag, your briefcase, and your life. With The Message’s distinctive single-column format, you’ll enjoy reading the Bible as much as your favorite book.

The Message is a reading Bible translated from the original Greek and Hebrew Scriptures by scholar, pastor, author, and poet Eugene Peterson. Peterson spent ten years working on The Message after teaching in seminary and preaching in churches for more than thirty years. Thoroughly reviewed and approved by twenty biblical scholars,The Message combines the authority of God’s Word with the cadence and energy of conversational English.

The Message awakens long-time Bible readers from their sleepy routines, renewing their desire to hear God’s voice. Now, come and delight in the unexpected passion and personality that fill God’s Word.

My take on this Bible:
The Message Bible is certainly a different translation than what I am used to reading. First of all a bit about the construction of the Bible itself. The slimline edition makes this a very portable Bible, and the flexible leatherlike cover is nice to the touch and makes it easy to hold and read, oh and it's so flexible that it allows me to bend back the cover the same way I would do a paperback book.  The single column style made me feel like I was reading a book instead of a Bible. There are no study notes, or even foot notes that I could find, but the translation is so easy to understand that I honestly didn't miss the study notes,  because the translation allowed me to understand what I was reading, without using further reference.The pages of this Bible are thin, so I would be leery of doing a lot of marking for fear of bleed through.  I think the Message translation really brings Gods word alive making for ease of understanding. With that said I wouldn't use this Bible to replace my NKJV but instead I use it to enhance my reading experience. Anyone looking for an easy to understand version of the Bible should give this one a try. The only thing that I would have liked to have seen with this Bible is a presentation page, because that's something I look for whenever I give a Bible as a gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your wonderful comments make my day, thanks for dropping by!