Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Dove by Jennifer Horrance


  • File Size: 535 KB
  • Print Length: 76 pages
  • Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
  • Publisher: Summer Solstice (July 27, 2014)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00M75QSBQ






 July 27, 2014

Two Time Lines

Two Lives Entwined

Destined to be Saved from Oblivion.


My take on this book:
The Dove by Jennifer Horrance is the story of two people who both lived in Canyon City, NV. Caitelynn is a "soiled dove"who lived in the mid 1800's she disappeared under mysterious circumstances.  Daniel is a young man whose story takes place in 2012. He  has come to live with his grandmother in the hopes of starting his life over. When he encounters Caitelynn's restless spirit he becomes determined to solve the mystery of what happened to her all those years ago. 

Jennifer Horrance creates an easy to read century old mystery that has a nice paranormal twist.It's hard to say what I liked best with this book. I loved the historical elements, but the character of Caitelynn really spoke to me. I could easily envision her plying her trade, or being mothered as she sat in the cafe. I could even feel the excitement as she purchased a new dress, and the hurt because she couldn't purchase a piece of fudge. She was an easy to like character,while I expected to feel sorry for her I didn't, instead I admired her strength and the kindness that she showed to the men she dealt with.  I found the gift of discernment that Daniel and his grandmother shared added a unique perspective when it came to solving the mystery surrounding Caitelynn. Even though The Dove is a work of fiction it was easy to see that Ms. Horrance did her research into the time period because she provided a very realistic look at the conditions of Canyon City during the time that Caitelynn lived there. The shifting between past and present was very well done, I liked seeing the story unfold thru the eyes of two uniquely different characters in two different time periods.  The mystery  was very well written and truthfully I was surprised when the perpetrator was finally revealed. The Dove is a richly crafted short story with well developed characters and a fast moving,easy to follow plot that held my attention from beginning to end. 

Reviewed for Readersfavorite.com

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    ReplyDelete

Your wonderful comments make my day, thanks for dropping by!