It is time for a FIRST Wild Card Tour book review! If you wish to join the FIRST blog alliance, just click the button. We are a group of reviewers who tour Christian books. A Wild Card post includes a brief bio of the author and a full chapter from each book toured. The reason it is called a FIRST Wild Card Tour is that you never know if the book will be fiction, non~fiction, for young, or for old...or for somewhere in between! Enjoy your free peek into the book!
You never know when I might play a wild card on you!
Today's Wild Card is:
Zonderkidz; Special edition (March 6, 2012)
***Special thanks to Rick Roberson of The B&B Media Group for sending me a review copy.***
SHORT BOOK DESCRIPTION:
Getting into a routine of reading the Bible can be challenging for anyone, but trying to keep the attention of pre-teen boys is especially difficult. So now there is a Bible especially developed for them. The NIV Boys Bible is designed with boys ages 9 to 12 in mind. Fun in-text features help boys dig deep into the Word and learn about amazing people, facts and stories of the Bible. The NIV Boys Bible will help boys grow into the young men God wants them to be. It will appeal to boys and cause them to desire to spend time in the Word with its unique features such as:
* Introductions to each book of the Bible
* Hundreds of highlighted verses worth memorizing
* What's the Big Deal?-Need-to-know biblical stories and people
* Check It Out-Interesting and fun facts about Bible times and characters
* Grossology-Gross and gory stuff they never knew was in the Bible
* Makin' It Real-Help for applying Bible stories to their everyday lives
This Bible includes the full text of the New International Version, the most popular Bible translation in the world, and 12 color tip-in pages introducing content that shows boys how they can grow to be like Jesus. Each book of the Bible has activities that make God's Word more relevant than ever. It is jam-packed with customized content and artwork that really makes the Bible stand out.
List Price: $27.99
Reading level: Ages 9 and up
Hardcover: 1504 pages
Publisher: Zonderkidz; Special edition (March 6, 2012)
AND NOW...A SAMPLE. PLEASE CLICK ON THE PICTURES TO VIEW THEM LARGER:
My take on this Bible:
Zonderkids seems to know how to create Bibles as well as books that will appeal to tweens. I thought the cover of this Bible was unique, something that boys would certainly like. The NIV translation is certainly easy for younger readers to understand, and this Bible is filled with several features that is going to help tween boys dig deeper into God's word.
The features include:
1. An introduction to each book of the Bible which gives a quick look at the author, setting and background which will help the user understand the characters and stories in each book.
2. What's the big Deal? This feature will help users figure out who's who in each book and how they connect to God.
3. Makin' it Real: It gives the user an idea on what they can learn from the Bible and how it pertains to them.
4. Check it Out: Provides interesting facts and trivia, from the Old Testament as well as the New.
5.Grossology: Focuses on the messy parts of life.
6.Words to Live By: Verses to help the reader keep God's word in their heart.
At the back of the Bible are a few other useful tools that would be quite helpful such as a schedule for reading the Bible in a year, or promises from the Bible as well as perspectives from the Bible, which includes a topical index.
I also think the journaling pages included just might encourage tween boys to jot down their thoughts.
Overall a great little Bible that I think any young boy would be proud to use and carry. The colors are very appropriate for a boy. Would make a wonderful award or gift Bible. Anything that will get tween boys reading God's word gets a thumbs up from me, and I am confident that this Bible will draw them in and get them reading.